Wednesday, September 22, 2010

NFL Week 2

So since this is my first blog ever, I'm going to explain how this works. Every week (hopefully) I'm going to break down what happened in sports and offer my 2 cents on the issues. Alright, let's do this.

Most recently, the San Francisco 49ers put up quite a fight against the reigning Super bowl champion New Orleans Saints. There are 2 topics that arise from this Monday night game: 1. San Fran looked pretty decent. They had a few turnovers and kind of kicked themselves with bad timeouts but let's face it, they definitely scared the Saints. Alex Smith led the 49ers down the field to score a touchdown with a 2 point conversion with a minute and 19 seconds left. This tied the score at 22. But as we've seen that is way too much time to leave Drew Brees in this type of situation. The niners' defense played well, but they couldn't stop Brees at the end of the game. Garrett Hartley saved the Saints with a 37 yard field goal as time ran out. This brings the Saints total points from week 1 and 2 to 39, which brings me to topic 2. Are the Saints as good as everyone thought they were going to be? Last season, the Saints had scored 89 points in the first 2 games. Yes, I know at the end of the day the only thing that matters is the W and the Saints are 2-0, but are they slowly falling into that Super bowl hangover?

If I've learned anything in the last 2 weeks it's that football really is about any given Sunday (or Monday, or Thursday). Sports are unpredictable. I would have never thought that the Dallas Cowboys would be 0-2 right now, after all the Super Bowl hype that surrounded them in the off-season. They have looked awful so far. After watching their pre-season performance I knew they had to make a change, but I don't think they've made it yet. Their team isn't playing like a team, their coach is happy ALL THE TIME, even when their doing bad. What's going on in the Big-D? Jerry Jones has said time and time again that he will stand by Wade Phillips, but if they continue to preform this badly I think Wade Phillips is going to be off the sidelines and inside of a mall with kids sitting on his lap, telling him what they want for Christmas. Bottom line: The Cowboys need to turn this around, talk to each other and play like the team they were last year. 

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are undefeated. That's right, they have won their first 2 games. I am still in shock that they are currently leading the NFC South. Just a year ago they were 3-13 with their wins coming in the last few weeks of the regular season. They play the Steelers at home next week, let's see if this hot streak continues.

Michael Vick. Yes, he is a criminal, yes he is a dog killer. He served his time and apparently only got better while incarcerated. He looked like the Michael Vick of old when he played the Lions this past Sunday. He went 21 for 34 with 2 touchdowns, threw for 284 yards, and rushed for 37 yards. If you ask me, he looked way better leading the team than Kevin Kolb did a week earlier. The area that needs work in Philly is their defense. They let the Lions score 32 points? In the words of Cris Carter, "C'mon man!" This just announced, Vick was named the starting QB for the Eagles this Sunday. I love when they take my advice =). 

The New England Patriots scored 38 points in their first week and kept the super hero team of Palmer, Ochocinco and Owens to a lackluster 24 points. Three of those Cincy touchdowns came in the second half of the game. This past weekend, the Pats headed to the Meadowlands to face off against their division rival New York Jets. In the first half Tom Brady threw for 216 yards and 2 touchdowns. In the second half he threw for a minuscule 32 yards, no touchdowns and 2 interceptions. The Pats' defense sacked Mark Sanchez three times in the first half and could barely get a hand on him or any of the Jets in the second half. This makes me wonder, do they all hurry to the locker room at halftime, take a nap, then hit the field for the second half? What is Bill Belichick doing? Everyone thinks he is such a genius, well this genius needs to get his team together and rip them a new one after that loss. The Patriots need to be able to play the entire game, not just for 30 minutes of it. And that whole Revis calling Moss a "slouch" thing... Well we all saw what happened with that. Hey Revis, how's that hamstring buddy?

I think that's going to be it for this week, I'd just like to close with this one thought: Brett Favre, you should have stayed in Mississippi bud. 

Sports Truly

1 comment:

  1. Chelsea my love, I've admitted before and I'm scared to say it again on a sports site, but.... I don't know my ass from my elbow when it comes to sports. I'm thinking if you keep these blogs coming and as amazing as this one I might begin to love the game and learn wtf a sack is. Cuz my bf said its not what I thought it was...

    I love your blog. I love your style, and your sexyness. Keep em' coming Sports Truly!!!

    ReplyDelete